We are proud to introduce you to our panel of expert jury members. The Adjudicators will represent WELDFAB TECH AWARDS 2019, and judge the nominees in an unbiased pattern. This selection committee will review all applications and select award recipients in each category. The winners will be declared at the Award Night Ceremony on 14th September, 2019 in Mumbai.
- Dr. Nisith R. Mandal
- Ms. Renu N. Gupta
- Mr. Shivkumar
- Mr. R. Srinivasan
- Mr. Jose P. Philip
- Mr. Pillai
- Mrs. A. Santhakumari
Dr. Nisith R. Mandal, FIE, FRINA., Ex – Professor & Head, Dept. of Ocean Engg & Naval Architecture Ex – Dean (Students’ Affair), Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Ph.D, 1985, Technical University of Gdansk, Ship Research Institute, Poland.
- B.Tech (Hons), 1976, IIT Kharagpur.
Career History & Experience
- Professor, Department of Ocean Engineering & Naval Architecture, IIT Kharagpur. Joined IIT Kharagpur as a member of Ocean Engineering & Naval Architecture faculty on Apr.1987.
- Dean of Students’ Affairs from Apr.2012 – Apr 2015.
- Managing Director of Science &Technology Entrepreneurs’ Park, IIT Kharagpur for the period Dec.2004 to Oct.2007.
- Lecturer, Institute of Shipbuilding Technology, Vasco-da Gama, Goa from May 1986 to Apr.1987.
- Naval Architect, Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd. for a period of three years after graduation from IIT Kharagpur from Jul.1976 to Aug.1979.
- Spent six years in Poland doing my Polish language and Ph.D studies from Sept.1979 to Dec.1985.
- Undertaken several industrial consultancy as well as sponsored research projects involving welding techniques, weld distortion analysis, distortion control and mitigation as well as development of friction stir welding of marine grade aluminum alloys sponsored by various Govt. and private agencies.
About 80 research papers in peer reviewed journals and conferences.
- ‘Aluminum Welding’, 2nd Edition, 2005, ISBN 81-7319-637-0.
- ‘Welding and Distortion Control’, 2004, ISBN 81-7319-552-8, simultaneously published by Alpha Science International Ltd., Pangbourne, U.K. ISBN 1-84265-177-3 and ASM International, USA, ISBN 0-87170-800-0.
- “Welding Techniques, Distortion Control and Line Heating”, 2009, ISBN: 978-81-7319-971-4.
- “Ship Construction and Welding”, 2017, Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd. ISBN 978-981-10-2953-0.
- Awarded fellowship under Royal Society of Edinburgh International Exchange Programme, 2008.
- Elected Fellow of The Royal Institution of Naval Architects, 2006.
- Elected Fellow of The Institution of Engineers (India), 2001.
- Certified and designated Member of American Welding Society, 1991
- Fibre reinforced plastic (FRP) parabolic S-band antenna (Client: M/sStadt Microwave Technologies Pvt. Ltd.)
- FRP Road Side Crash Barrier (Client:M/s. OsnarChemical Pvt. Ltd.)
- Design and Fabrication of Fibre Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Road Side Crash Barrier, (Filed).
Design and Fabrication of Stiffened Plate Panel of AA5083 by Friction Stir Welding, (Filed).
Ms. Renu N. Gupta, Sr. DGM – Welding Engg. & Metallurgy, Larsen & Toubro, HEIC
Qualification: B. Tech (Metallurgy) from IITR, IWE, pursuing Ph D from IITB
Since 2004, Ms. Renu is working in Heavy Engineering (HE) at L&T, in welding engineering and metallurgy function. Currently, she is heading the team at Powai location. Her key role and responsibilities have been to provide technical support in manufacturing of equipment, for defence, nuclear, aerospace, refineries, petrochemicals and fertilizers plants. Before, from 1995 – 2004, Ms. Renu worked at Godrej & Boyce, Precision Eqpt Division, in similar function.
Few of the critical projects where Ms. Renu have contributed are; BrahMos missile components (DRDO), nuclear steam generators for PHWR & FBR (NPCIL), motor casings for PSLV/ GSLV (ISRO), boilers and reactors for ammonia and urea plant.
Mr. Shivkumar, Member Advisory Council Business Development Bureau
Qualification – BE From MNREC (Now NIT) Allahabad in 1977.
Mr. Shivkumar is a Retired Chief Executive of EWAC Alloys Ltd (Then Wholly owned subsidiary of Larsen & Toubro Limited) having 39 years of work experience. His career span covered various positions, different businesses and multi-locations. He successfully handled domestic as well as international operations covering P&L, Sales & Marketing, Manufacturing , R&D & Talent management.
Key strengths include Business Growth Strategy, Starting New Business, and creating marketing & distributor organisation, Change Management , Talent Management & Leadership development. Currently, Mr. Shivkumar is engaged in Executive Coaching. Giving Feedback on Assessment & 360 Feedback, Leadership Assessment & Business Consultancy.
Talent Management Credentials
- Certified CEO Coach
- Certified MBTI Level II Practitioner
- Certified PPA Practitioner
- Certified In OPQ32r
- Trained In Hogan Inventory Report Counselling
- Clocked Over 225 Hours of Coaching to Senior Executives from L&T, Aditya Birla, Sandvik Asia, Anand Rathi & Blue Star
- Associated with L&T, Thomas Assessment & Naman HR for Senior Leadership assessment
Past Positions Held
- Chairman Welding Committee – CII
- Deputy Chairman – Association Of Welding Products Manufacturers
- Chairman – Industrial Maintenance Expo – CII
- Director L&T Cutting Tools Limited
Mr. R. Srinivasan, Chairman of the Indian Institute of Welding – Foundation Director, Contech Services, Mumbai
Qualification: Mechanical Engineer & MBA from Delhi University. A qualified International Welding Engineer (IWE) of the International Institute of Welding.
Mr. R. Srinivasan has been awarded the Fellow membership of the IIW as fellow in Welding and is presently the Director of a company engaged in Welding Consultancy services. He is associated with the welding field since the year 1978 and has over 4 decades of experience in Welding Science and Technology.
He was the President of The Indian Institute of Welding (IIW) from 2014-2017 and is also a member of the training faculty for the International Welding Engineer qualification program. Mr. Srinivasan is the Chairman of the Indian Institute of welding – Foundation. He has been appointed as an assessor by THE RDAT Maharashtra for assessing the skills of welders under the SDI-VTP scheme of the Govt of India.
He has excellent International relations with various welding Researchers and Technologists of Welding Institutes from various countries who are the member of the International Institute of Welding.
His Organization Contech Services in Mumbai offer services for Welding Audits and ASME,
U-stamp Quality Manual Preparation and implementation and training. He also undertakes various quality related trainings of the shop floor personnel as per various practicing welding codes, by designing customized training programs as needed by specific industries. He offers training to companies to get certified under ISO codes. Mr. Srinivasan assists companies to get the accreditation for certification under ISO 3834, ISO 1090, ISO 13445, ISO 15085.
He has an excellent knowledge to guide practicing welding engineers to develop a beneficial understanding of welding technology employed in fabrication and reclamation engineering. He is the Life member of the ISNT and ASM.
Mr Srinivasan is a professional trainer and has so far imparted knowledge on welding and its application to over 1,200 practicing engineers in India. He has qualified and certified over 700 welders under different codes. He has conducted over 80 specialized welding courses for the industries. He has presented over 20 technical papers on welding related subjects in various national and international welding seminars.
Presently, Mr. R.Srinivasan holds a key position on The Indian Institute of Welding, the only Indian member society of International Institute of Welding headquartered in Paris.
Mr. Jose P. Philip, MD & Chief Executive Officer, TECPRO Infra Projects Ltd
Qualification: MBA from DAVV University, Indore with specialization in HR.
Mr. Jose P Philip is in the field of Construction Industry for the last 38 years. In the year 1981 he plotted company viz. M/s BESL Infra Projects Ltd. (at present Tecpro Infra Projects Ltd) as its promoter Managing Director.
Having successfully completed several projects of repute within the country and abroad, the company at present engaged in the execution of the prestigious project of laying of 230 KM long cross country pipeline of GAIL for transportation of Natural Gas from LNG Terminal at Kochi to Bangalore. Apart from this, the company is engaged in the implementation of 14 other projects in drinking water segment, 3 projects in power sector and 2 in Petrochemical complexes.
Before entering business field Mr. Jose P Philip served in the Kerala Police Service as Inspector of Police for 8 years from the year 1973 to 1981 and worked in the districts of Ernakulam & Palakkad. He earned a name of high repute in general public as an upright police officer with proven capabilities in detecting several criminal cases, preventing sandalwood smuggling, handling law & order issues, controlling policemen under him, serving common man for peaceful living & implementing communal harmony in the society.
Mr. Jose is associated with The Indian Institute of Welding, Cochin Branch since 1981 and currently he is the Chairman. He is also Vice Chairman, General Purpose Committee of IIW India, Kolkata.
His Association is with KMA, Indian Institute of Welding, Lifelong Learning Foundation, Indian Society for Training & Development, Kerala State Productivity Council, Indian Institute of Plant Engineers, Manager, PT Philip Memorial LP School, Kurumpanmoozhy.
US, Japan, China, Italy, Germany, Canada, Singapore, Malaysia, Nigeria, Mauritius, France, UAE, Iraq, Kuwait, Doha, Muscat, Saudi Arabia etc.
Mr. G.K. Pillai, Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer, Walchandnagar Industries Ltd, Pune .
Graduating from BITS, Pilani, in the year 1973, Mr. Pillai started his professional career in the field of Control Valves with Instrumentation Limited, Palakkad, (Kerala), as a Graduate Engineer Trainee and worked there till 1994, where, he held the position of Dy. General Manager. Thereafter, he ventured into the Private Sector and was with a U.S. Joint Venture – Fisher Sanmar Limited at Chennai, where, he rose to become the Chief Executive. He was also the Chief Executive of Tyco Sanmar at Chennai.
After working there for 12 years, Mr. Pillai took over the reins of Heavy Engineering Corporation (HEC) Limited, Ranchi, – A Schedule “A” Public Sector of the Government of India in May, 2007, as the Chairman and Managing Director. The Company was going through a very difficult phase; almost, on the verge of closure. However, with some very innovative management initiatives, Mr. Pillai steered the Company out of the red and since then, the Company has been making profits. Under his leadership, HEC has come back to the national and international limelight and has been successful in forging strategic alliances and making specialized equipments for the mining, steel, nuclear and space sectors.
In recognition of his performance, he was bestowed upon with several national and international awards, including, the “SCOPE Excellence Award”in October, 2009, presented by the Hon’ble Prime Minister of India.
Seeing the excellent turnaround he brought about at HEC, with effect from January, 2011, Government of India entrusted him with an additional responsibility of Chairman & Managing Director of HMT Machine Tools Limited – another ailing PSU.
After superannuating from both these organizations on 31st December, 2011, Mr. Pillai joined one of India’s most famous engineering groups – Walchandnagar Industries Limited, where, he is at present the Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer, for the last 7 years.
Mr. Pillai has been a recipient of various awards and recognitions and some of them are as given below :-
- Awarded “SCOPE Excellence Award” for the year 2007-08 from the Hon. Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, on 15th October, 2009.
- Indian Nuclear Society Award for “Industrial Excellence” in January, 2010.
- Bestowed with the “Outstanding Contribution to the Industry” Award by The National Industrial Conclave 2010.
- Awarded a Scroll of Honour by The National HRD Network, in April, 2010.
- Awarded the “BRPSE Turn Around Award”.
- Bestowed with the “Leadership Award” from The Asia-Pacific HR Congress in
Bangalore on 3rd September, 2010.
- Awarded the “Performance Excellence” Award by Indian Institution of Industrial Engineering on 15th June, 2012, at Udaipur.
- Awarded the “ENGINEER OF THE YEAR” Award by the Institution of Engineers (India) – Palakkad, Kerala Chapter on 15th September, 2013.
He is also a keen Speaker and has delivered talks in various national and international symposiums and also to educational and training institutes all over the country. Some of the talks / papers delivered are as below :-
Talks / Papers Delivered:
- Presented a Paper in the ASME Global Summit in 2008 in Washington DC (U.S) – the only Indian to get the honour.
- Presented a Technical Paper at the World Technical Forum organized by World Foundry Organization at Brno, Czech Republic in June, 2009.
- Presented a Paper on “Turnaround of PSEs at VigyanBhawan, New Delhi, in April, 2010.
- Gave a valedictory talk on “Leadership” to ASCI, Hyderabad, in October, 2010.
- Delivered the keynote address at the Indo British Co-operation of Energy Efficiency held in New Delhi.
- Past Chairman, CII Jharkhand State Council
- Past President, PMA, Ranchi Chapter
- Vice Chairman, Energy Saving Commission, World Foundry Congress(Ex)
- Member CII National Committee on Capital Goods & Engineering
- Fellow of the Institution of Engineersv
- President of Indian Institute of Industrial Engineers, Pune Chapter
Also a sportsperson of repute and some of the events he has participated in are given below:-
As a Player:
- Have participated in the Nationals in Hockey Championships and also in the All-India Inter University Level Tournament.
- Had been a University Level Athlete.
As an Organizer:
- Was the Organizing Secretary of 49th National Hockey Championship at Palakkad in 1985.
- Was the Organizing Secretary of the 43rd National TT Championships at Palakkad in 1981.
- Was the General Convenor of the Ranji Trophy matches held in Palakkad in 1978.
Patron of Jharkhand State Cricket Association.
Mrs. A. Santhakumari, Addl. General Manager (WRI & Labs), Welding Research Institute, Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited, Tiruchirappalli.
Qualification: B.E. (Instrumentation and Controls Engineering), MS (Information Technology), Pursuing Ph D in Welding Technology at Anna University.
Years of Experience: Over 29 years of experience in Controls & Instrumentation, Power source development & evaluation, system development, Solid State Welding Processes, Signature analysis in GMAW, Robotics & Automation.
Past Accomplishments: Development of Transistorised power source, controllers for indigenous Electrogas Welding machine, non-contact seam tracking system, image analysis in Submerged Arc Welding, Online power source evaluation system, KM portal development and Management systems development, development of website wriindia.com. Training to women in welding.
Current Pursuits: Working onFusion Welding Processes (GMAW, GTAW, SAW, SMAW), Solid state welding processes (Resistance, Friction & Friction Stir welding), AUSC boiler materials, Robotics and Automation, Power source and consumable evaluation, Process analysis through Analysator Hannover, Strategic Planning & IT.
Recently took over as Addl. GM of plant laboratory of BHEL and responsibilities include, mechanical and metallurgical testing of boiler materials, consumables & components, failure analysis, CTOD tests, fracture toughness tests, chemical analysis including fuel analysis and water chemistry, etc.
Publications & Patents: More than 100 technical papers in various national / international fora and more than 30 IPRs.
Awards & Accolades: NUCOR AWARD (IIW 1998), REPUBLIC DAY AWARD, (BHEL) 1999, 2014, 2016, INSAAN AWARD (INSAAN) 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 & 2005 and BEST WOMEN EMPLOYEE AWARD (EXECUTIVE) 2014 and 2016 by SCOPE. Eminent Women Engineer Award 2017 from the Institution of Engineers India, Hosur Local Centre. MunnodiPenmani (Trend Setter)2017 Award from Bharthidasan University.
Service to Professional bodies: Serving to society through professional organisations
- Member of Indian Institute of Welding
- Fellow Member of Institution of Engineers India
- National Governing Council member of Indian Welding Society
- Vice chairperson – The Indian Institute of Metals, Tiruchy chapter.
- Life member of Computer Society of India
- Life Member QCFI
- President – Forum of Women in Public Sector, BHEL, Tiruchirappalli
Member, Lions Clubs Internationals
- Editor of IWS Journal and METALL, newsletter of IIM Tiruchy chapter
Countries visited: Japan for making technical presentation of technical paper at Osaka University.
- External examiner for Bharthidasan University and faculty for courses by professional bodies.
- Visited JWRI, Japan and presented technical paper in the Indo – Japan workshop.
- Guided more than 35 post graduate and graduate students for project work.
- Successfully developed & commercialised the Mid Frequency Direct Current (MFDC) technology for thin sheet joining to meet the requirements of automotive steel manufacturer industries.
- Developed MFDC welding technology for the FIRST TIME in the country for joining corrugated stainless steel sheets with Stainless steel sheets for 700 MWe Nuclear steam generators.
- Established parameters for Deformation Resistance Welding of fuel tanks of two wheelers.
- Carried out consultancy projects to ISRO, LPSC, VSSC, ECIL, JSW, TATA Steel, ESSAR steel, etc.
- Evaluation of GMAW consumables for Indian manufacturers for BHEL approval.
- Conducted training programmes to Engineers of various customers
- 25 IPRs and 99 technical papers
- Development of software for 8 different applications
- Served in the editorial board of WRI journal till 2013
- Pioneer in KM Portal development and developed KM portal of WRI
Details of Professional experience:
|ADDITIONAL GENERAL MANAGER||BHARAT HEAVY ELECTRICALS LIMITED, TIRUCHY||Since 25-06-2017|
|Sr. DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER||BHARAT HEAVY ELECTRICALS LIMITED, TIRUCHY||25-06-2014 TO 24-06-2017|
|DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER||BHARAT HEAVY ELECTRICALS LIMITED, TIRUCHY||25-06-2011 TO 24-06-2014|
|SENIOR MANAGER||BHARAT HEAVY ELECTRICALS LIMITED, TIRUCHY||25-06-2007 TO 24-06-2011|
|MANAGER||BHARAT HEAVY ELECTRICALS LIMITED, TIRUCHY||25-06-2002 TO 24-06-2007|
|DEPUTY MANAGER||BHARAT HEAVY ELECTRICALS LIMITED, TIRUCHY||25-06-1999 TO 24-06-2002|
|SENIOR ENGINEER||BHARAT HEAVY ELECTRICALS LIMITED, TIRUCHY||25-06-1995 TO 24-06-1999|
|ENGINEER||BHARAT HEAVY ELECTRICALS LIMITED, TIRUCHY||08-04-1991 TO 24-06-1995|
|ENGINEER TRAINEE||BHARAT HEAVY ELECTRICALS LIMITED, TIRUCHY||13-02-1990 TO 07-04-1991|